I wonder if I put a few words here?

Blog 4 – Multimedia Design For Learning

Screen casting videos are a great resource that I have personally used to help supplement my learning outside of the classroom. In my experience classes concerning mathematics or chemistry tend to have students keeping up with the professor on writing notes before they move on from a topic. I found myself keeping up with the notes but not fully grasping the information being taught as I was too concerned about writing everything down before the next slide appeared. In chemistry specifically I found a great screen casting resource on YouTube in the channel “The Organic Chemistry Tutor”  where I was able to find topics covered during lecture and go-over them at my own pace to ensure I grasped the material and understood what was being taught. The ability to pause and re-watch segments of the video that covered topics I found to be difficult helped in making sure I did not fall behind in the class.

Embedded in this post is a screen casted video from “The Organic Chemistry Tutor” that showcases how valuable this medium of educational material is. The narrator makes use of the signaling principle and helps the learner visualize the material being taught by using color co-ordination to keep everything more organized and digestible.

Below is an infographic that details the five major recognized applications of screen casting and how screen casting is beneficial to each category’s target audience.

The Organic Chemistry Tutor (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ketdzJtY8&list=PL0o_zxa4K1BXP7TUO7656wg0uF1xYnwgm

Five Big Applications of Screencasting (2017). Retrieved from:https://atomisystems.com/screencasting/screencasting-applications/

1. kaylasawchenko

I found your blog post very interesting, Gurbir. I’m sure every student can agree that they have all raced to try and get the notes on the board down. It is very stressful and takes away from the main point of learning. The student is more concentrated on getting the information than actually learning it. Your suggestion is great and I think many students would benefit from it.